As Indians, we are blessed to have festive season all around the year. Which also means dressing up in your finest and looking like a dream at every step. Every Indian girl has to face her biggest fear- draping the nine yard wonder AKA a saree. To make it even worse for common girls like us, our Bollywood beauties (we are talking Sonam Kapoor) give us unrealistic expectations of how graceful one can look in a saree. So we are here with a few tips that you all need to keep in mind so that you can avoid any embarrassment and grace that beautiful saree with ease.
- Make sure you pleat the saree using similar coloured safety pins (golden or silver always work). Pin the pleats correctly so that it does not slip off and looks more structured.
- Wear a blouse that fits your body type and shape perfectly. You surely do not want to show off that extra body fat that could have been easily concealed.
- Do NOT over accessorise the saree even if you think the saree is a bit too plain jane. Add one statement piece instead of wearing everything at once, which will make you look like a disco ball.
- Read the point written above. The exact same goes for your makeup too. Avoid very bright or cakey makeup and choose to highlight one feature of your face.
- While wearing chiffon sarees, make sure you do not pleat the pallu and leave it loose and flowing. Uh, Bollywood!
- Pair your saree with a matching clutch bag. Avoid carrying totes as it will add a lot of weight to the whole look. This way you will be able to carry only your makeup essentials and nothing more.
- Avoid matching every pair of your jewellery with your saree. Contrast is they key. Add a few statement pieces to enhance the entire look.
- Avoid wearing the saree too high or too low. It is best advised to wear it at your waist bone. Unless you have a torso that can give competition to Deepika Padukone or Shilpa Shetty.
- Avoid wearing flats or wedges with your saree. Stilettos and peep toes work the best. If you do not want to wear heels, opt for platform heels for a slight height.
- And finally! Make sure your blouse does NOT show off your bra straps. Even if they’re the prettiest ones you own. It may look cute with western outfits, but it looks unstructured with a saree.
With these tips handy, you will carry off your saree like a pro! Oh and do not forget to wear that radiant smile and sway with confidence without falling flat on your face.
Here is some Bollywood inspiration for reference:
Kareena Kapoor Khan in a plain red saree. Red never looked better, right?
Our fashionista Sonam Kapoor in a dainty, pale peach and black pant-style saree. One statement neckpiece is all that was needed to add the right amount of oomph to this pretty ensemble.
Nargis Fakhri in a royal blue saree. The blouse is a complete stunner and steals the spotlight.
Sonam Kapoor casts a vintage charm with this beautiful, delicate pastel pink saree. Finishing it off with crochet jacket that adds to the entire look. The intricate lace details have our heart.