Everybody wants silky-smooth hair. Whether you have a bob or Rapunzel-like knee length hair, you want them to be nourished, healthy and shiny. You can spend a fortune to buy hair masks. Or… just use some simple ingredients available at your home to make some DIY hair masks!
First of all, you can customize each hair mask according to your requirement. Secondly, they are as good as any store bought hair masks. Lastly, they can save you a lot of money! Here is a list of DIY hair masks you can try out:
1. Coconut oil Hair Mask
- 2 Tablespoons of Coconut oil (slightly warm)
- 1 Tablespoon of Organic Honey
- Mix two tablespoons of warm coconut oil and one tablespoon of organic honey in a bowl.
- Apply the mask from the roots to the tips.
- Let it sit in your hair for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash it off with your shampoo.
Coconut oil is a miracle worker. It is extremely nourishing and can repair dry and damaged hair. It makes the hair thicker, longer and healthier. Mixing it with a good quality organic honey will give you an unbeatable hair mask. This mask is a boon for people with dry and badly damaged hair.
Note: You can add 1/2 a tablespoon of castor oil if you have an extremely dry scalp.
2. Banana and Avocado Hair Mask
- 1/2 Banana (ripe)
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 Tablespoon of Coconut oil
- Organic Honey (optional)
- Mash half a banana and half avocado together. You may also blend them in a food processor.
- Add warm coconut oil to the mix.
- Apply it from roots to tips.
- Keep it in your hair for about 25 minutes.
- Wash the hair with water.
Bananas are rich in potassium, as a result of which, they make your hair more elastic and less prone to breakage. Avocados are also rich in potassium and amino acids, making them excellent hair moisturizers. Also, they promote hair growth, if used regularly.
As this hair mask contains bananas and avocados, it will give you smooth and shiny looking hair. It also prevents dandruff and itching. This is a perfect mask for those with a flaky scalp and damaged hair.
Note: Add half a teaspoon of organic honey if you have extremely dry hair.
3. Strawberry Hair Mask
- 2 Whole Strawberries
- 1/2 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Jojoba Oil
- Mash the strawberries in a bowl.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and jojoba oil to the strawberries.
- Apply this mask from the roots till the end.
- Use cold water to rinse after 10 minutes and follow with a shampoo.
Strawberry is extremely rich in antioxidants, as a result of which, it is extremely nourishing. It makes your hair shiny and gets rid of any excess sebum on the scalp. Jojoba oil is another source of hydration for the hair, it not only strengthens the hair but also makes it healthier. Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural hair cleanser. It breaks down the chemical and product build up from the scalp. In addition, it makes the hair shiny.
People with dull and limp hair should definitely try this hair mask.
Note: An added benefit of using jojoba oil is that even oily hair people can use it because it has a similar structure to the body’s natural oils. Due to this, it is very nourishing but doesn’t cause breakouts.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda Hair Mask
1. 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
2. 2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
3. 1 Tablespoon of Baking soda
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl well.
- Wet your hair properly.
- Apply the mixture from scalp to tips and comb it through.
- Leave it on for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Wash it cold water and shampoo.
This is a hair mask for oily hair. It will thoroughly cleanse your hair of all the oils and dirt. The end result will be squeaky clean hair. It is a must try during the hot and humid months, or when your hair tends to get too greasy. A plus, it is super easy and will take you under a minute to make.
5. Egg Hair Mask
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon of Castor Oil
- Take 2 whole eggs and beat them properly(use a blender if necessary)
- Add the castor oil in the beaten eggs and beat again to obtain a creamy texture.
- Apply this mixture from your roots to your tips.
- Lets it sit for 30-40 minutes.
- Wash you hair with cold water and a shampoo.
Castor oil is golden heaven for hair. It is very nourishing for the hair and excellent for preventing hair loss. The oil prevents scalp infections and aids in circulation in the scalp. Eggs also have a number of components like biotin and proteins which are absolutely essential for hair growth and maintenance. In addition to that, it makes the hair more manageable.
Try on these DIY Hair Masks for making your hair more hydrated and beautiful. You can always add and subtract ingredients to your choice and convenience. Have fun making these hair masks!