” Meri Desi Look , Meri Desi Look , Meri Desi Look pe , Marr Gaye Gore Gore , Gore Gore , Gore Chokre”
Now isn’t that true? Indian attire makes a girl look so fabulous. Our country is filled with so many festivals and celebrations , be it Diwali , Baisakhi , Navratri , Eid , New Year or even a Wedding. Hence , it is a perfect platform to showcase one’s impeccable ‘desi’ fashion sense.
So , one can’t help but notice how well the timing of Salman Khan and Sonam Kapoor’s latest movie ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo'(PRDP) is. The promotions for the movie started during Navratri time and the movie is releasing on Diwali. So obviously , the main focus , apart from the actors , is also on the clothes and fashion displayed in the movie. Sonam has gone all out , promoting so many wonderful Indian looks during her press and media interactions.
She is one of the few actresses in the current generation who has dutifully promoted the Indian wear all the time. She also fuses the Indian look with a dash of modernity , be it by her jewellery or by her accessories.
Sonam wore the Sari infused with modern touch for the Cannes in 2013 and 2014.
Her sister , Rhea Kapoor , is a stylist and is also responsible for most of Sonam’s lovely looks.
Below , I have curated 10 best looks of Sonam from her PRDP promotions.
- Sonam Kapoor is wearing an Anuradha Vakil suit for her promotion on a tele-serial on Colors. The suit is so vibrant. It is a perfect choice for family get-togethers or intimate parties.
Tip : If wearing a heavy and vibrant suit like Sonam’s , make sure you don’t wear a neck-piece. Instead invest in bangles or choodis and jhumkas for the jewellery.
- Sonam Kapoor is seen wearing a gorgeous lehnga in Ivory and White color with Gold detailing by Rohit Bal. A sleek straight hair is perfect fir for the look.
Tip : This is one look which can be carried with both tied as well as loose hair. In case you decide to tie your hair up , wear a gold choker to complete the look.
- Sonam Kapoor is wearing a gorgeous linen sari by Anavila for radio promotions for PRDP. She has completed her look with simple jewellery and a clutch.
Tip : Pair subtle attires with neutral shade jewellery and accessories. Minimal is the key.
- Sonam Kapoor is seen wearing a funky sari with a t-shirt type blouse by Anupama Dayal. This is the same designer who designed the fun and peppy clothes for ‘Khoobsurat’.
Tip : This funky sari can also be worn with a halter cut blouse. A trendy maang-tika would be a good choice for jewellery.
- This gorgeous piece by Rahul Mishra was worn by Sonam for ‘Comedy Nights with Kapil’. It is interesting to see the fusion of sari with a long , shiny overcoat.
Tip : This style is a very tricky one to carry. Make sure the color of the attire is complimentary to your style.
- Sonam Kapoor wore this trendy and simple Anamika Khanna lehnga. The pastel color is soothing to the eyes and is easy to adorn.
Tip : This is the safest outfit out of all that Sonam has worn for her promotions. You guys too can safely go for this look if simple is your style. Just remember to wear your pretty smile to jazz your look up 🙂
- Sonam Kapoor wore this gorgeous piece by Anju Modi for her next appearance on ‘Comedy Nights with Kapil’. Anju Modi is also designing costumes for ‘Bajirao Mastani’. Her opulent Indian style cannot be missed.
Tip : This is the attire that you would like to wear if you want to go all out on the bling and color and just look festive. For carrying out such looks , always make sure your hair is styled keeping it at the back. You want to have all the attention on your dress only.
- Sonam Kapoor wore this elegant number by Shantanu & Nikhil for her promotions on ‘Bigg Boss 9’.
Tip : This is a very classy look to carry. You could go for different colors for the blouse and try sleeveless or mid-sleeve blouses too for a funky take.
- This beautiful attire was worn by Sonam Kapoor for media promotions on LifeOK. Shehla Khan designed this piece. She is known for her light , dreamy , pastel designs.
Tip : Sonam has definitely gone subtle here , but you girls can go extravagant and notch the jazz level up by wearing lovely kundan earrings and chunky neck-pieces. A good choice would be to wear a ring bracelet as it will complement the delicate dress.
- Sonam Kapoor wore this pretty piece for her Ahmedabad promotions. This is designed by Abu Jani and Sandeep Khosla. They are known for their gorgeous and heavy Indian wear and they have a loyal fan base in Bollywood including the Bachchans.
Tip : I just love the whole look as is. Only advice I can offer is while you girls try a similar looking outfit , don’t go overboard with the styling. Know when to stop , as there is a lot going on here and you don’t want to look confused.
So , girls , you can take a cue from Sonam for the upcoming festivals , wedding season and family celebrations and be the ‘star‘ of your event by following these desi looks with a touch of modern.
Happy Desi Dressing !